Snow Bound Biddys O'Barnes Barnesmore County Donegal. Biddy's O'Barnes was originally an Inn dating back to the mid 18th century, a time when the Coach was the main form of transport, here was a stopping point, where horses were rested, and travellers relaxed before the next stage of their long and tiring journey through the Gap. The Derry/Sligo mailcoach was a particular target for highwaymen and this stretch of road was notorious for robbers. Not only were the mail coaches held up, but travellers themselves were robbed of their belongings. The highwaymen faded away with the arrival of the train. Even then, Biddys still played a vital role as a stopping point for passengers, with people finding travel more accessible than ever. Biddys O’Barnes to this day remains a stopping point for today’s traveller.
Glenveagh National Park covers 170 square kilometres of hillside above Glenveagh Castle on the shore of Lough Veagh (Loch Ghleann Bheatha), 20 km from Gweedore in County Donegal. The network of mainly informal gardens displays a multitude of exotic and delicate plants from as far afield as Chile, Madeira and Tasmania, all sheltered by windbreaks of pine trees and ornamental rhododendrons.
Lough Nambraddan Fintown County Donegal. Reflections on Lough Nambraddan near Fintown County Donegal
Keadew Lower Barnesmore County Donegal. Amazing Hand of Nature near Donegal Town County Donegal
Lough Eske Donegal Town County Donegal. Tucked away in one of the most scenic locations in Ireland, you will find the hidden gem that is Harvey’s Point.
Errigal Mountain, Glenveagh Mountains County Donegal. Made of quartzite, the mountain plays tricks with the sunlight, and can throw off a range of colors - most commonly white, black, red and various shades of blue. Adding to the almost mystic feeling of this mountain is the fact that it looks like a completely different peak when viewed from different directions. From the east it resembles a shark fin ripping through the boggy terrain.
Beltany Stone Circle, Beltany, Raphoe, County Donegal. Just three kilometres south of Raphoe on the summit of Beltany Hill stands a Neolithic stone circle (800 – 1400BC) called Beltany Stone Circle. This stone circle comprises of 64 standing stones but it is thought that there may have been originally 80 stones. One of the stones which is about 2 metres in height stands to the southeast of the circle. It probably had some function related to the pagan ceremonies held in the circle
Kiltooris Lake near Dawros Bay Rossbeg County Donegal.
Oakfield Park, Raphoe, County Donegal. There's a 4.5km narrow gauge railway with a diesel and steam train operating passenger trips daily. This is a magical way to explore the park’s gardens as the train passes through flower meadows, beautiful woodlands, willow tunnels, oak circles, boardwalks, heritage trees, a wooden causeway and sparkling streams and lakes.
Lough Cuill, Laghey County Donegal
Lough Eske from the Sky. This lake lies to the northeast of Donegal Town, to which it is connected by the River Eske. The lake is about 900 acres (3.6 km2) in size and is surrounded to the north, east and west by the Bluestack Mountains.
Donegal Town, County Donegal. The centre of the town is called 'The Diamond' and markets were held here until 1967. The markets were held on the second Friday of the month when the town would fill with farmers buying and selling cattle, together with various other traders selling their wares. The market day would have been a great social occasion with locals being able to catch up on each others news. In the Diamond stands an Obelisk in memory of 'The Four Masters'
Lough Finn, along with its neighbouring village of Fintown, was named after a mythological woman, Finngeal, who drowned in the lake after attempting to save her wounded brother Feargamhain. The water from Lough Finn outflows into the River Finn.
Church of the Sacred Heart, Dunlewey, Gweedore County Donegal. A magical location with Errigal Mountain in the background. Its characteristic aspect is due to the material used to build it, white marble and blue quartzite. It was built in 1877.
Kiltooris Lake Dawros Bay County Donegal. Last Light.
Meenlecknalore Lough Dungloe County Donegal. Situated nearby to Crockmeenlecknalore and Tangaveane Hill.
Biddys O'Barnes, Barnesmore, County Donegal. The original Biddy O’Callaghan was born in 1816 and died at the age of 93 handing the pub on to her son John in 1909. The bar later went to John’s sister Rose in 1937 who ran it for 40 years. After Rose’s death in 1977, her brother Joe, wife Katie and son Terence took over the pub for the following 13 years. In 1990 the O’Callaghan family relinquished ownership of Biddys which had been in their family for 185 years. John Slevin commenced trading on 1st August 1990. John’s wife died in 1993. He met Kate in 1994 and they got married in 2001. John sadly passed away suddenly in 2014. Kate continued to run the pub until Novemebr 2015. It is now run by Aaron Slevin.
Lough Eske Donegal Town County Donegal. Frozen Over.
Errigal Mountain Gweedore County Donegal. Mount Errigal is the tallest peak of the Derryveagh Mountains.(751m) It is also the most southern, steepest and highest of the mountains named “The Seven Sisters” by the locals. The other Sisters are Muckish, Crocknalaragagh, Aghla Beg, Ardloughnabrackbaddy, Aghla More, Mackoght and Errigal.
Donegal Craft Village is situated just outside the historic town of Donegal on the road to Ballyshannon and Sligo. Established in 1985 the village has become a showcase for contemporary arts and crafts in the county. There are six workshops clustered around a central courtyard.
Stranorlar and Ballybofey are situated in the Finn Valley, on either side of the River Finn. Known as the Twin Towns, they are linked by an arched bridge over the river.
Glenveagh National Park just after sunset. Churchill County Donegal
The Diamond, Donegal town County Donegal. Gone are the horse and donkey carts, the side cars and traps, which used to be tilted up on their end with an animal tied to the wheel and kept satisfied with an armful of hay or a bag of oats. The second Friday of each month was the Donegal Fair Day and Saturday of each week was Market day.
Lough Eske ,Donegal Town County Donegal